I was asked to chaperon a theater field trip this past Thursday. The theater teacher was taking 20 students to dinner and a play!I was so excited to see the play since it was The Sound of Music, and one of my former students was in the play!!!
When we arrived at the theater we were told that on 8 people could sit at a table. There was 24 of so that made it real easy to split up. A group of girls came up to me and asked me to sit with them. Well sure! :) There were also two boys that sat with us as well.
When we were heading in, the former student came running up to greet all her friends! Everyone was excited to see her. She was excited to see me and tell me how much she misses all of us at Madison #1. She said that she does not like her new math teacher very much because he made her cry her second day in class. She told me that she solved a math problem the way I had taught her and she got the same answer that her new math teacher got but when she showed him he told her that is not how it is supposed to be done and then told the rest of the class to never solve the problem like she just had and to always solve problems like he does. (Teachers like that make me sick!!! Why can't the kids solve problems the way they know? After all when they solve life problems they are going to solve the problems the best way they know!) One of the other students that was sitting with me told me that she liked the way I give the class options to solve the math problems. If one way confuses her then she has another option to try!! I am so happy that my students are paying attention and learning the most important life lesson!!! There are many ways to solve a single problem!!! :)
So now it is time to eat dinner. There was a buffet!!! YAY!!! The kids ate a little bit of the healthy stuff and then went straight to the dessert area!! :) They were so excited to have ice cream! One of the kids said "My dad does not let me have ice cream on school nights!" When the waitress brought them soda they were so excited for that as well! I guess their parents don't let them drink soda much either... I was their favorite teacher! LOL :)
One of the boys asked the waiter for a refill on his soda and the waiter said "You need to ask your mom first" and he pointed to me. :) ME? The mom? I must have looked crazy... Here I am sitting with 7 kids and I am pregnant!! hahahaha!! Too funny!! :)
From that time on all the kids have been calling me "mom."
I love bonding with the students! :)





No comments:
Post a Comment