Geraldine and I were asked to speak at General Assembly this past Saturday about the hardships of Daniel and Geraldine's mom being deported and the "paperwork" process that Daniel and I are going through. We had agreed. We decided to share so that everyone can hear that yes indeed families are being split apart.
This is a tough choice we made. We do want people to know what we are going through but by speaking up we are putting ourselves in danger. We are saying "we are here". But you know what? There are many people who are keeping quiet. The laws sorta force good people to stay hidden and not share what is really going on behind the scenes, behind the media...
Here are the stories (the truth that is happening in your, our country)...
P.S. We spoke to about 2500 people in person while maybe 200 people watched live online...
Geraldine Mendez:
My name is Geraldine Mendez. I know that I couldn’t
possibly tell this story to a more understanding audience and this is
why today I am here to tell you my family’s story and what we have been
through over the past few years. I tell you this story in hopes that it
will help others understand what families with undocumented parents go
through.
My parents came here from Mexico twenty years ago, with my brother
who was just four years old. They came here looking for a better life
and while they did not enter legally, they worked hard, every day,
sometimes 12 hours a day to give my brother and me a better life.
On October 21, 2009, in a blink of an eye my mother was taken from
our home by six I.C.E agents without warning. In that moment, my brother
and I lost the one person who has always been there by our side. After
this tragic event, our family is now broken. Each day, we are reminded
of our mother’s absence. It has left a never ending hurt in our hearts.
Not having her with us physically is not the only pain but it has taken
emotional pain to a whole new level of hurt that I never knew existed.
There are moments and memories that my mom will never be a part of which
makes me realize that no matter what happens in the future this hurt
will always be with me. With her gone she has missed one of my greatest
accomplishments, high school graduation.
My parents raised us to believe that our education is one of the most
important things we would do in life and that with this we could do or
be anyone we wanted to be. To not have my mother see me receive my
diploma was one of the most painful moments; I was lucky enough to have
many others cheer for me but without her it didn’t have the same
meaning. I am not the only one who has been affected by her absence.
On July 15, 2011 my beautiful niece was born. We all jumped with joy to
see her cute little toes and fingers. The first thing my brother did was
call my mom to let her know her first grandchild was born. It was a
bittersweet moment. We were ecstatic to see the new member of our family
but at the same time we were reminded that our mother wasn’t here to
share the joy. We are not sure when my mom will have the chance to meet
her first grandchild or when we will have the chance to see her again,
but that is just one more thing that we must deal with. Other memories
that my mother will miss are birthdays, Christmases, thanksgivings, and
much more.
As you all can see the pain of having someone taken away
because they are not legally supposed to be here causes pain and hurt
that no one should have to endure.
Tiffany Mendez:
I am Tiffany Mendez. I have lived in Phoenix, Arizona
all my life. I first met Daniel when we were in 8th grade. We started
dating after high school. In June of 2008, we married. We just
celebrated our 4th anniversary.
As Geraldine told you, 2 and half years ago, our family was torn apart
when ICE deported my mother-in-law. Fearful of Daniel being deported, we
immediately got a lawyer. Before we could even begin the paperwork, we
had to gather evidence of our relationship, pictures of us dating, our
wedding, hanging out with friends, letters of reference from family
members, co-workers and congregation members to show that yes they
witness the bond of our relationship. We had to collect our marriage
certificate, birth certificates, passport photos, and any other piece of
information that would help prove our love and commitment to each
other. After we had gathered the necessary items we were told we had to
wait for the “next step”. The next step came 6 months later and was just
another paper to fill out to be sent to the United States Mexican
Consulate in Juarez, Mexico. The Lawyer said now we just wait until they
schedule an appointment.
As we waited to hear about this meeting, Daniel and I found out we were
expecting! On July 15, 2011 we welcomed Izabella Rose into our lives!
There were many emotions after the delivery. Joy at this blessing of new
life, grief that Daniel’s mom was not there, but most of all we felt
worried about the challenges that our daughter will face as she grows
up. Now more than ever I fear the day when those ICE agents return to my
home and split my family once again.
Two weeks after her birth, we were called into the lawyer’s office with
supposedly “good news.” We were told that Daniel had an appointment set
within the next 3 months. He would have to go to Mexico a couple weeks
before his meeting. Once he has his appointment he will have to wait to
see if he is denied or approved. This answer could take up to 10 months
or longer and he must remain in Mexico until he hears one way or
another. As I sit there, nursing my newborn baby, how could I think of
this as good news? How is this situation not the same as splitting up my
family? Izabella will be going through many firsts and her daddy would
miss the excitement of crawling, walking saying “dada”. I am not
prepared to raise my daughter with the computer for a father. For right
now we have put this step on hold. Our lawyer suggested we wait and see
if the law will change to where Daniel can send the paperwork, and get
approved before going for the appointment. Until then, we sit worried.
Daniel, Geraldine and I invite you to share our story. Let your friends,
your neighbors, your communities know that the system is broken;
families are still being split apart even when they try to go through
the paperwork process. Let them know that we need everyone’s help to
keep families together.





No comments:
Post a Comment